Build your own beautiful, tasty, and nourishing salad out of whatever you’ve got in your refrigerator. When it comes to salads, nearly any combination of ingredients works.
Here are just a few things you probably have in your fridge or pantry right now that you could utilize to make a fabulous salad.
Lettuce, spinach, or other greens.
- Carrots, cucumber, eggplant, squash, radishes, tomatoes, zucchini…
- Onions, broccoli, avocado, peppers, asparagus….
- Black beans, chickpeas, veggie burger, chicken, turkey….
- Salt, ground pepper, lime juice….
- Mango, peaches, raspberries, blackberries….
- Whole wheat bread, rolls, or pita bread
Just changing the shape or texture of leftovers makes them seem fresh and new. To liven up the ingredients above:
- Rip or tear the greens
- Shred, chop, or slice the veggies
- Slice, shred, crumble, or rip chicken, turkey, or veggie burgers
- Make leftover salsa sing by mixing in fruit, lime juice and/or black beans
- Turn bread/rolls (especially if they are stale) into garlic croutons or pita chips
Add a variety of different colors and textures, and replace your salad dressing with salsa mixed with fruit. No combination is out of the question. If you like the ingredient, toss it in!
Have fun. Use up the produce and leftovers in your kitchen and enjoy your healthy meal!